Saturday, January 19, 2008

Alarm Clock

A glorious Saturday morning with nowhere to go. What a great day to sleep in. I was warm and cozy in my bed. My quilt was all around me and my soft pillow was so, so comfortable.

Suddenly, I felt a presence next to my bed. Then I realized through my tightly closed eyelids that a light was shining right in my face. I heard money jingling. Was this a bizarre dream?

No, this wasn't a dream. It was my five year old, human alarm clock.

I opened my eyes reluctantly to see him standing next to my bed, flashlight in hand, examining loose change.

"What in the world are you doing?" I asked in a sleepy whisper.

"Yooking at money very carefully," he answered.

"I can see that, but why are you doing it next to my bed? Why don't you go in your room or better yet, since the sun is out go downstairs," I begged wanting to sleep.

"I have to do it here because your room is dark and if I go where the sunshine is, I won't be able to see the flashlight light."

Oh yes, it all makes perfect sense...

to a five year old.

No comments: