Saturday, February 9, 2008

Adding insult to injury

Last night I decided to take K with me while I was shopping for some birthday presents for J. It seemed like a good idea when we left the house, but then, of course, it started raining as soon as we decided to start getting in and out of the car to go into various stores. We've had so much rain around here that I'm starting to think Noah is going to show up with an ark or, the scientists will announce that for some freakish reason, the Midwest's climate is now turning into Seattle's.

On our exit from Target, the rain was particularly strong. The drops were big and they were blowing sideways. I wrapped K up as best I could, grabbed my purse and bags and headed for the door. After the other night's events in the bathroom, I realized that K has a new love of the word HUGE. Everything is HUGE. Her grapes are HUGE. Her glass of milk is HUGE. Her hair, which is growing rapidly, isn't long, it's HUGE.

So, she says as we get ready to hit the sidewalk, "Mommy, these raindrops are HUGE!"

Then she giggled ever so slightly and continued, "They're HUGE like your panties!!!!"

At this point, she threw her head back and laughed like she was the funniest commedianne in the world. Behind me, I could hear laughter. It was a couple who were probably in their late 60's or early 70's. The man had his hand over his mouth trying to hide his smile, and his wife was doing something similar. She was wearing one of those old lady plastic hairbonnets and a sparkly red sweatshirt that said, "TGIF: THIS GRANNY IS FUN."

They apologized for laughing, but said it was one of the funniest things they've heard such a little person say.

I had to agree and anyone who will be seen with, or actually wear that gawdy of a sweatshirt out of love for their grandchildren, is allowed to laugh.

No comments: